Week 3: Music is Music!
Welcome to the Main Thread for the last week of the transcription challenge! This is the place for the Week 3 Submissions!
- Make sure you've read the guidelines before replying (<- click)
- Watch the kickoff livestream for help with the first section!
If you want to describe your process (optional), feel free to use the following template.
- Things you found easy:
- Things you found difficult:
- (Optional): a video of you performing it!
- (Optional:) questions
↓ Reply below with your Progress Update and Questions! ↓
What of this piece: les barricades mystérieuses by Francois Couperin (1717)? Originally for harpsichord. fifth piece from « Ordre 6ème de clavecin »
I wanted to play this piece since a while. Finally found a good version. It should be in the practice timeline, and will be, but since this is such a nice transcription of baroque harpsichord music, I decided to post it here. It’s very fresh,, just worked out most of the fingerings. Especially the last variation needs more work.
It is a rondo structure, with quite unexpected modulations. That’s seems to be the meaning of the piece.
About the title: here some notes from the wiki page for your education and entertainment*
The suggestion of barricades is "a double entendre’ referring simultaneously to feminine virginity and the suspensions of harmonic progressions of the music, whose lute figurations from the style brisé are imitated to produce an enigmatic stalemate"….
Other suggested intended meanings for the title include:
- impeding communication between people
- between past and present or present and future
- between life and death
- women's underwear
- allegedly a common way of referring to women's eyelashes among the Salonniere of the 17th century
- masks worn by performers of Le Mystère ou les Fêtes de l’ Inconnu (The Mysterious One or the Celebrations of the Unknown One) staged by one of Couperin's patrons, the Duchesse du Maine in 1714
- a "technical joke...the continuous suspensions in the lute style being a barricade to the basic harmony".
Dear Community, this is my attempt of playing "Asturias". In this Challenge I only uploaded two pieces..."Jesu bleibet meine Freude" und "Asturias" took so much time.... I am looking forward to the watch-party ...
Have a nice time and stay healthy .https://youtu.be/SNK-UMdsk40