READ ME FIRST: Rules & FAQ for the FIRST-EVER Community Challenge!
Alright, everyone: welcome to our very first tonebase Community Challenge! So happy you've decided to stop by! Let's settle in, grab our guitars, and learn some new music together!
14 days of 11 Landslög (by Gulli Björnsson)
(New cycle of works, commissioned by and for tonebase!)
Download the full score:
Gulli Björnsson: Landslög for solo guitar (<- click)
- We commissioned our very own cycle of new educational pieces from the wonderful and talented young Icelandic composer Gulli Björnsson.
- He wrote the 11 Landslög, a collection of short pieces based on Icelandic landscapes in progressive difficulty.
- We will be learning some of those together by practicing at least one of them every day!
- You choose your own pace and difficulty, but you commit to 2 weeks of daily practice.
- Challenge start: Sunday, December 6th
- Practice days: December 6th - 18th (13 days)
- Watch party: December 19th, featuring Gulli Björnsson, the composer himself!
- Start by practicing Landslag no. 1, "dark sand dunes with some moss" on December 6th.
- When you are finished practicing for the day, go to our Daily Updates thread and post about one thing you found easy, and one thing you found hard.
- If you are comfortable with it, add a video or audio of yourself performing it. This is optional, but it will allow you to share your progress with others!
After December 6th:
- When you feel ready, move on to Landslag no. 2.
- Repeat steps 1-3 from above every day of the challenge.
- There is no limit on how many days you can spend on each Landslag! Do whatever feels comfortable, as long as you keep practicing one of them every day.
- Because we want to challenge ourselves to practice every day for the next 2 weeks
- Because learning together is more fun than learning alone
- Because we get to share our progress with others (whether through video or just text)
- Because new music is wonderful and these pieces were written especially for us!
- Because we want to meet our fellow tonebase community members
The Fun Part:
- At the end of our practice challenge, composer Gulli Björnsson will be joining us for a Watch Party on tonebase LIVE!
- He will be taking questions from all of you, addressing some of the things you found easy or difficult, and maybe - if you send in videos with your daily updates - watching those with us, and giving you some specific comments and advice
- The day will be December 19th, the mood will be festive, and we hope to see you all there!
Frequently asked questions:
Can I join the challenge if I wasn't there on December 6th?
Yes! Just make sure you keep practicing and updating us every day. For an extra challenge, commit to keep practicing for 2 weeks from the day you join, rather than from December 6th.
Is it Landslög or Landslag?
Great question! Icelandic can be a difficult language. The name of the cycle of pieces translates to "Landscapes".
Landslög is plural ("landscapes"), while Landslag is singular ("landscape"). Don't worry if you get this wrong! Gulli
will won't get mad at you.
I have a question, who do I ask?
Feel free to use this thread to ask any questions you might have about this challenge! If you would prefer to ask something in a more confidential setting, please use my email: [email protected]
Can I get some guidance on these pieces?
Yes! Gulli just recorded a wonderful tonebase lesson on this cycle. And who better to ask? He is the composer, after all! Check them out by clicking the corresponding number here:
- Landslag no. 1, Landslag no. 2, Landslag no. 3, Landslag no. 4, Landslag no. 5, Landslag no. 6, Landslag no. 7, Landslag no. 8, Landslag no. 9, Landslag no. 10, Landslag no. 11.
These are all worth a watch, throughout our challenge - make sure you're up to date with Gulli's tips on the Landslag you are currently learning!
Can I do more than one Landslag per day? Or start with no. 10?
But of course! This challenge is for you - do with it what you wish. As long as you 1) practice every day; 2) keep track of your progress; 3) share your progress with others - you are fully participating! Of course we won't be mad if this is too easy for you
↓ Reply with other questions below ↓
Is there a prize for the winner? (Just kidding!) Interesting proposal, this 'challenge'. (To be frank, my first thought was 'I'm too old for this kind of thing' but I'm warming up to the idea.) I've looked briefly through the score and they do indeed seem to be interesting pieces. (I am reminded of Brouwer's 'Nuevos Studios Sencillos'.) I haven't watched Gulli's presentations yet - I like to form my own 'first impression' of new music when this is possible. As for making a video? Hmmm, I'll definitely have to think bout that. Maybe in a few days I'll feel more confident about that than I do at the moment ...
wow, great challenge for keeping guitarists learning new music. I think old guitarist (age 60) like me can practise along with this community of keen and passionate guitarists around the world. Anyway, I live in Borneo island located in East Malaysia and the time zone is (UT+8) and thereofre it is a bit difficult to follow Tonebase live streaming event because of time differences.
I agree with Law that this is great to get us to learn new music, big up and serious respect to tonebase for commissioning them! I'd love to see more new pieces appearing and entering our repertoire this way.
Mircea as a suggestion for the future if you haven't thought of it already, this format could also work nicely with slightly larger single pieces that we could all learn together over the course of, say, a week. Perhaps even organised for us into bite-sized little nuggets to work on each day?