READ ME FIRST: Rules & FAQ for the Tárrega Repertoire Challenge!
Hello everyone, for our next Repertoire Challenge we are going to enter the wonderful world of Francisco Tárrega's music! Together we will explore "the father of the classical guitar"!
THREE WEEKS OF TÁRREGA'S MUSIC
Download the Music: The Tarréga Collection (←click here for the sheet music)
- We are going to be learning some of Tárrega's most famous and beautiful pieces!
- The aim is to practice them every day and post progress updates twice a week.
- You choose how many pieces you work on, but you commit to practicing them regularly.
- A watch party featuring your submissions will take part at the end (date below!)
- Challenge start: Monday, May 31st
- Practice days: Monday, May 31st - Monday, June 21st (21 days)
- Watch party: Monday, June 21st (← link coming soon!)
- Start by practicing a piece of your choice. Feel free to check out these suggested selections!
- After 2-3 days, go to our Biweekly Updates thread and post about one thing you found easy, and one thing you found hard.
- If you are comfortable with it, add a video or audio of yourself performing it. This is optional, but it will allow you to share your progress with others!
After you post an update:
- When you feel ready, move on to another piece by Tárrega.
- Repeat steps 1-3 from above every day of the challenge.
- There is no limit on long you can spend on each etude! Do whatever feels comfortable, as long as you keep practicing one of them every day.
- Because we want to challenge ourselves to practice every day
- Because learning together is more fun than learning alone
- Because we get to share our progress with others (whether video or just text)
- Because new music is wonderful and these pieces were written especially for us!
- Because we want to meet our fellow tonebase community members
The Fun Part:
- At the end of our practice challenge, we will be hosting another Watch Party on tonebase LIVE! This will feature user submissions, community awards and shoutouts!
- This is planned for Monday 21st at 11 am Pacific (14 pm Eastern, 7 pm London, 8 pm CET)
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Can I join the challenge if I wasn't there on May 31st?
Yes! Just make sure you keep practicing every day and updating us twice a week.
Do I have to go through all the pieces?
Absolutely not. You are free to go practice as few or as many as you wish. Even spending the entire three weeks on a single etude would be very valuable!
I have a question, who do I ask?
Feel free to use this thread to ask any questions you might have about this challenge! If you would prefer to ask something in a more confidential setting, please use my email: [email protected]
Can I get some guidance on these pieces?
Yes! Some of these etudes are featured in dedicated tonebase lessons, and one was featured in a livestream. Here are the links:
- Adelita taught by Eduardo Inestal
- Maria taught by Andrea Gonzalez
- Prelude No.1 taugt by Andrea de Vitis
- Prelude No. 5 taught by Emmanuel Sowicz
- Lagrima taught by Thomas Viloteau (7-Day Course!)
Can I do more than one piece per day?
Of course! As always, this challenge is for you - do with it what you wish. As long as you 1) practice every day; 2) keep track of your progress; 3) share your progress with others - you are fully participating! Of course I won't be mad if this is too easy for you
↓ Reply with other questions below ↓
Sounds fun! Just wondering if you can play pieces you have attempted before or if the idea is that you need to play pieces you haven't tried before. I would like to participate but I don't think the watch party will work for me as it will 4.00 am on Sunday in Melbourne but I will also be away on a short trip from about the 18th June. Can I still participate?