READ ME FIRST: Rules & FAQ for the Nikita Koshkin Challenge
Alright, everyone! Hello and welcome to Nikita Koshkin Challenge! Together we will explore the Ten Progressive Studies exclusively written for tonebase!
In his series of progressive etudes, Nikita Koshkin introduces crucial musical and technical concepts in the context of ten inspiring, unique, and thought-provoking short works. The cycle begins by covering basic skills, such as finger alternation and simple melodies, and slowly introduces more complex concepts, reaching all the way up to full-string barres, virtuosic scales and arpeggios, complex articulation, and counterpoint. A basic understanding of musical and guitar-specific notation is required to begin learning the first study. However, the beauty and subtle complexity of musical concepts introduced throughout the cycle is masterfully combined with the technical approachability of the first few etudes
Three Weeks of Nikita's Music!
Download the Scores Here (←click!)
Watch the Kick-Off Livestream Here (←click!)
- We are going to explore an exlusive set of studies by Nikita Koshkin!
- We will be crucial musical and technical concepts!
- The aim is to practice them every day and post progress updates!
- You choose how much time you will invest , but you commit to practicing them regularly.
- A watch party featuring your submissions will take part at the end (date below!)
1. Sep 13th: Kick-Off Livestream for the Nikita Koshkin Challenge
- Challenge start: September 13th
- Watch party: October 4th
Start by getting an overview in the Kick-Off Livestream!
After some practicing, go to our Updates thread and post about
one thing you found easy
one thing you found hard
If you are comfortable with it, add a video or audio of yourself performing it. This is optional, but it will allow you to share your progress with others!
I encourage you to post updates twice a week. No daily update expectation in this challenge! If you want to post daily though, feel free!
After you post an update:
- When you feel ready, move on to the next study
- Repeat steps 1-3 from above every day of the challenge.
- There is no limit on long you can spend on each Study! Do whatever feels comfortable, as long as you keep practicing one of them every day.
- Because we want to challenge ourselves to practice every day
- Because learning together is more fun than learning alone
- Because we get to share our progress with others (whether video or just text)
- Because new music is wonderful and these pieces were written especially for us!
- Because we want to meet our fellow tonebase community members
The Fun Part:
- At the end of our practice challenge, we will be hosting another Watch Party on tonebase LIVE! This will feature user submissions, community awards and shoutouts!
- This is planned for October 4th at 11 am Pacific (2 pm Eastern, 7 pm London, 8 pm CET)
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Can I join the challenge if I wasn't there on September 13th?
Yes! Just make sure you keep practicing every day and updating us at least twice a week.
Do I have to go through all Studies?
Absolutely not. You are free to go as far as you wish!
I have a question, who do I ask?
Feel free to use this thread to ask any questions you might have about this challenge! If you would prefer to ask something in a more confidential setting, please use my email: [email protected]
Can I do more than one Study per week?
Absolutely! As always, this challenge is for you - do with it what you wish. As long as you 1) practice every day; 2) keep track of your progress; 3) share your progress with others - you are fully participating! Of course I won't be mad if this is too easy for you ;)