READ ME FIRST: Rules for the Virtuosity Challenge!
Welcome, everybody to the tonebase Virtuosity Challenge!
In this guided activity and live course, we will be working on our technique, applied not only through exercises, but also through real excerpts from standard repertoire!
- Topics to be addressed will include scales, arpeggios, preparation, coordination, fingering, and more.
- We will be applying principles from the Cuban school, championed by musicians such as my own professor Joaquin Clerch and tonebase artist Marco Tamayo.
- In week 3, you will also get to suggest excerpts from your own repertoire for me to look at. I will provide fingering suggestions, tips and a practice roadmap!
- A watch party featuring your submissions will take part at the end (date below!)
- I will be going live every Monday at 11 am Pacific / 8 pm Central Europe, providing and explaining some exercises and short repertoire excerpts for you to look at.
- You should practice these at home daily - and after a few days, submit a video update documenting your progress.
- I will then offer individualized advice to everyone posting in the weekly threads.
- If you have time, aim for at least 1-2 updates a week
- You can send in a text or audio update, but since this is all about virtuosity, video is more strongly encouraged than usual (so I can offer better advice.)
There is no expectation to play the excerpts at concert level, or to perform the exercises at a certain metronome mark! We are all here to learn - and I will be practicing all of those alongside you.
- May 3rd: Technical Foundation
- May 10th: Practicing Passages
- May 17th: Excerpt Clinic
- May 24th: Watch Party!
Challenge start: Monday, May 3rd
Watch party: May 24th
- Because technique is the tool that enables us to be musical
- Because feeling secure and relaxed on stage leads to more beautiful music
- Because we want to challenge ourselves to practice every day
- Because learning together is more fun than learning alone
- Because we get to share our progress with others (whether video or just text)
- Because we want to meet our fellow tonebase community members
The Fun Part:
- At the end of this challenge, we will be hosting a Watch Party on tonebase LIVE!
- This is planned for May 24th at 11 am Pacific.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
What if Monday at 11 Pacific doesn't work for me?
That's fine! All livestreams are available to be viewed as recordings. Feel free to watch them on your own time and contribute in the forums!
Can I join the challenge if I wasn't there on May 3rd?
Yes! You can do everything at your own pace and at your convenience.
Do I need any prior experience?
Nope! I will be providing all exercises and excerpts. You just need to be able to read music and willing to make the commitment to practice regularly for a few weeks!
I have a question, who do I ask?
Feel free to use this thread to ask any questions you might have about this challenge! If you would prefer to ask something in a more confidential setting, please use my email: [email protected]
Can I submit other exercises and excerpts?
But of course! The exercises and excerpts we provide here are only a place to start. If you want to take things further, feel free to apply them on whatever you are practicing. Also, in Week 3, I want your excerpt suggestions to look at! Please upload them in the relevant forum thread.
↓ Reply with other questions below ↓
Hi Mircea, I am new in Tonebase I'd like to participe although I already know that not always can be in lifestream. I live in south germany and the schedule is not so easy for me. Nevertheless I 'd love to try the life interaction. I am going to join you all this evening in lifestream.
See you later and congratulations for your creative and interesting workshops and topics in this site.
I don't know how to make a video. I have tried with my phone but I have trouble trying to get my hands in the frame. Then I do not know how to send it. Is there help? I am hanging by a string over this issue.